Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Art Journal Play and Hauls

Hi and welcome

If this is the first time that you have come across my blog, welcome and if you are a regular reader, I'm delighted that you have taken the time to read all about what I have been up to this month.

Looking through my posts, I seem to work on one kind of project for a while and then switch to a different type of venture and this month has been a perfect example of that.  There has been a large amount of knitting and crochet going on, but this month I have really been enjoying working in my art journal with varying degrees of success.  How do I measure success in my journal? I'd say that would depend on how many times I revisit a page to look and remember how I have constructed it or even just to look because I am happy with the end result.  


I started this page with a layer of white gesso followed by layering torn pieces from a paper bag that I had saved from a recent shopping trip.  The bag gave me the colour combination that I ended up using in this piece and the page came together over a number of days as I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with it once I had glued down the bag.  
 

I've been trying to use my stencils more and I really enjoyed using them on this page.  I liked the effect that the Tim Holtz stencil in Gothic gave using texture paste. Once the paste was dry, I used some Dylusions Ink Spray in Melted Chocolate on the right hand side of the page and you can really see how it makes the pattern stand out, the ink has run over and in between the paste and it has taken on the colour of the ink.  When I had finished this page, I decided to spray the whole page with some water with Perfect Pearls added, this lightened the whole page a little too much for my liking, but I didn't want to risk doing any more to the page and spoil what I already done.


I love this page and I'm delighted with how it turned out.  Usually there is something on a page that I wish that I had done differently or perhaps not done at all.  That is not the case with this page and I feel that this is my best piece yet.   

* * * * * * * * 
I have purchased a couple of items recently that I have been wanting to try out and a couple that I just could not resist.  


This Pretty Peonies stamp set from Wplus9 has been on my wish list for some time, but it has always been out of stock.  I was so happy to see it available and I'm going to re-watch Dawn from Wplus9 on YouTube before I start playing with it.  Her creation using these stamps is beautiful.


I have read so many blogs and seen so many videos on YouTube with people using the Color Burst powders from Ken Oliver Crafts.  I tried to resist buying them, but they look so much fun to use that I couldn't stop myself buying a couple of colours to have a go with.  

Many art journal tutorials I have watched recently have used the black and white gelatos.  They give lovely shade and light to areas on pages and I wanted to give them a go myself.



Oh look, more Gelatos!  I love using them on journal pages or as a watercolour medium.  This set with yellows and oranges really appealed to me, lovely bright colours that remind me of both autumn and spring colours.  

I bought the box to house all my stencils as I have been using them from their original packs and returning them when washed and dried.  It always seems such a fiddle to get them out and replace them so I thought a box to put them in would make using them so much easier.  

Hopefully by next month I'll be able to share one or two more art journal pages using some of the items from my recent hauls.  

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog this month, I hope you'll want to visit again next month. 


No comments:

Post a Comment